Assigned 8th AAF:20 August 1943.
VIII BC 1 BD: 20 Aug 1943
1 BD: 8 Jan 1944
VIII AFCC: 14 Feb 1944
VIII FC: 1 Oct 1944
1 AD: 1 Jan 1945
812BS: B-17F and G H2X, B-17G Eagle.
813BS: B-17F H2S and Oboe; B-17G H2X
814BS: B-24H and J H2X, B-24L, APS-15A and B-24M Eagle.
ALCONBURY 20 August 1943 - 24 June 45
Col Baskin R. Lawrence Jr: 20 August 1943 - 1 December 1943
Col Howard Moore: 1 December 1943 - 14 December 1944.
Lt Col Clement W. Bird: 15 December 1944 - 21 May 1945
First Mission: 27 September 1943
Last Mission: 22 March 1944
Total Bomb Tonnage: 497 Tons
Aircraft MIA: 7
Distinguished Unit Citation: 11 Jan. 44 (all 1 BD groups).
Claims to Fame
Pioneered radar bombing devices for USAAF.
Activated 20 August 1943 at Alconbury. Original personnel specially selected
crews from VIII BC plus a few key men who had been involved with 329BS Gee experiments.
Ground crews formed from the disbanded 479th Anti-Sub. Group. Initial experiments
under auspices of 92BG, which also provided personnel. Unit had a three-fold
mission: combat operations; to develop technique and test radar devices; train
pathfinder crews. As lead aircraft, 482BG B-17s and B-24s usually flew missions
from stations of other groups, and some key personnel of host group flying in
the PFF aircraft. Unit ceased regular operations late in March but continued
to undertake special operations, notably D-Day when 18 crews were provided to
lead bomb groups.Transferred Composite Command Feb. 1944 when emphasis shifted
to training radar operators. Initially with RAF instructors, and courses begun
on 21 February 1944. Training and experimentation remained its chief role for
the remainder of war. From August 1944 to April 1945, and conducted 202 radar
scope and 'pickling' sorties over hostile territory without loss: 45 tons bombs.
Redeployed to the US in May of 1945. The aircraft departed between 27-30 May
1945. The ground unit sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from Gourock on the 24 June
1945. The group re-established at Victorville AAF, Ca. on the 5 July 1945, but
inactivated on the 1 September 1945